What is a Hybrid RIA?
What Does Hybrid Mean?
- A Hybrid Advisor is a person who is a representative of both a Registered Investment Advisor (RIA) entity and a Broker/Dealer (BD).
- A Hybrid Advisor can provide commission services through a Broker/Dealer and may choose to leverage a corporate RIA or establish a Hybrid RIA firm that they own, brand and operate for all their fee-based business.
- A Hybrid RIA is an independently registered firm owned and managed by a(n) Hybrid Advisor(s).
According to data from Cerulli Associates a financial services research firm, as of the end of 2013:
- There were 24,825 Hybrid Advisors. A 9% annual growth rate between 2008 to 2013 – the fastest growing segment of the market by far.
- Hybrid RIA’s managed more than $1.1 trillion in assets. A 14.4% growth rate from 2008 to 2013
Why Work With a Hybrid Advisor?
The financial services landscape is constantly evolving. As the industry evolves, so must the advisor. Hybrid advisors or “dually registered advisors” operate as investment advisor representatives, typically charging fees for some clients, and as securities brokers, typically charging commission for others.
In 2016, the Department of Labor became focused on drafting legislation to require advisors to act in the best interest of their clients. Registered Investment Advisors have a fiduciary duty to always act in the best interests of their clients.
"The RIA and dually registered advisor channels are the only ones that had a positive annual growth rate in advisor numbers over the last five years. The growth is mostly from attracting advisors out of other channels." – Cerulli Associates
Every client is different. As such, a client's advisor requires the flexibility to provide the products and services necessary to help a client work towards their investment goals and objectives. Flexibility is key. A Hybrid RIA allows for a RIA platform for asset management and financial planning; and a broker/dealer solution for commission-based securities, insurance and alternative investment business.